Learning AI the Practical Way
|Structure Type:||Study unit|
|Level:||Continuing Education etc.|
|Responsible Teacher:||Vikström, Thomas|
|Language of Instruction:||English|
You will understand the concept of Artificial Intelligence (AI), what are the benefits and challenges of AI today and what is not yet possible.
After the course you will have a solid understanding and practical experience of how AI in general and machine learning in particular can be used in real life.
- 20 hours of contact teaching
- 61 hours of self-studies, assignments, learning diary
Prerequisites / Recommended Optional Courses
· Coding experience is not at all needed, neither is coding part of this course. All activities will be done using intuitive and easy to use physical devices and applications, most of the applications are web-based.
· English skills
-- the course and all material are in English, but you can write your learning diary and other written assignments in English, Finnish or Swedish
You will learn how to use machine learning
· with smartphones to recognise movement, objects in images and sound. Bring your own Apple or Android-based smartphone, the only requirement is that it has a camera and internet connection.
· with physical devices, like e.g. smartwatches to recognise movement, temperature, heart rate, air pressure, or a combination of them. VAMK has 10 smartwatches you can use during the course, either by yourself or working in pairs.
· with a computer to recognise objects or abnormities in images, e.g. Covid-19 or Pneumonia in X-ray images. Most activities will be done through a browser, one requires a Windows 10 or Mac computer (M1-processor not yet supported). It is recommended to work in pairs.
In addition to machine learning, you will also learn about other types of AI (expert systems, intelligent automation, genetic algorithms etc.) and how they can be used.
Most of the activities will be literally hands-on lab exercises, the amount of PowerPoint-presentations is kept to a minimum.
Mode of Delivery / Planned Learning Activities and Teaching Methods
Lectures, lab exercises, self-studies, online assignments, learning diary
Passed or To be completed. You will receive Passed if you have submitted your assignments and learning diary in time and their content can be approved.