Pediatric and Adolescent Nursing and Health Promotion
|Structure Type:||Study unit|
|Responsible Teacher:||Honkaniemi, Teija|
|Language of Instruction:||Finnish|
Courses During the Academic Year 2022-2023
|3001||SH2021-2A||2023-04-01 – 2023-09-20||Teija Honkaniemi||Finnish||2023-01-26 – 2023-04-03|
The student understands the special features of pediatric and adolescent nursing. The student knows the basic principles of pediatric and adolescent nursing and understands the meaning of family-centered guiding and advicing. Student knows the common examination and nursing methods in the field of pediatric and adolescent nursing. The student masters the special features of pediatric and adolescent pharmacotherapy.
The student recognises the most common children’s and youth diseases and the causes of them.
The student is able to apply updated, evidence-based knowledge to pediatric and adolescent nursing.
Student's Workload: 108h
Prerequisites / Recommended Optional Courses
Basics of Clinical Nursing, Basics of Pharmachotherapy, Clinical Nursing I, Safe Pharmachotherapy.
Contents: growth, development and fostering of a healthy child
- support for parenthood, risk factors related to children, and families’ wellbeing
- recognition of child abuse and early interventions
- children’s rights
- principles of paediatric nursing
- impact of a child’s disease on the child and family
- interaction, communication, guidance and play with the child/family in various situations of paediatric care
- paediatric and family nursing care and the most common paediatric diseases
- basics of nursing care for children with special needs
- the most common investigations and procedures of paediatric patients, as well as patient education and guidance related to them
- basics of paediatric medication management and IV fluid therapy and the principles of pain management for paediatric patients at different ages
- paediatric terminal care, death
- special issues in children's nutrition
- most common children's diseases
Internationality Work Placement
Recommended or Required Reading and Other Learning Resources/Tools
Recommended or Required Reading and Other Learning Resources/Tools: Storvik- Sydänmaa S, Tervajärvi L & Hammar AM. 2019. Lasten ja nuorten hoitotyö. Pro sanoma Oy.
Mode of Delivery / Planned Learning Activities and Teaching Methods
Lectures and scheduled training, virtual studies.
-of which scheduled studies
-of which autonomous studies
-Laboratory learning 15h + 15h
The assesment of student's own learning is included in contact lessons.
The Student is able to
-carry out the nursing process independently and with a client-centered approach
- search, use and evaluate evidence-based information in nursing with a critical approach and develop nursing
- follow the ethical principles and evaluate , with a critical approach, his/her ability and the work community`s ability to follow these principles and develop the work community´s ethical function
The Student is able to
-to carry out the nursing process independently
- to search, use and evaluate evidence-based information in nursing
- follow the ethical principles and evaluate , with a critical approach, his/her ability and the work community`s ability to follow these principles
The Student is able to:
-to carry out the nursing process under supervision
-to search for and to use evidence-based information in nursing
- follow the ethical principles and evaluate his/her ability and the work community`s ability to follow these principles
Exam and numerical evaluation 0-5.
Obligatory presence in scheduled training